Archives and History :
1940 Mortgage Burning - Shown are
the Lay Leaders Responsible for
Heading up the pay off thrust.
The Church Library and the History and Records Committee are in partnership. General projects include indexing, organizing, preserving, digitizing, telling, and displaying church history for research and historic record.

Wesley UMC Archives and History:

Local Church History
This page has posted articles/research and images related to the significant history of Wesley UMC.

United Methodist Archives and History
UMC Commission on Church Archives and History
The purpose of GCAH is to promote and care for the historical interest of The United Methodist Church, located at Drew Univ.

UMC Image Collection (Drew Univ.)

Oklahoma Conference and University Archives (UMC):
OCU Archives
UMC/Oklahoma Commission on Archives and History.

How-To Information:
Leaflet: Photographic Images Preservation
Link: Resources for Conservation Professionals
Archival Forms are here.

History Overview:
The church was founded in 1910 in a simple wooden church at NW 32 and Military. In 1911, the  structure was dismantled and moved to NW 25 and Douglas (its current location).

In 1928, with a congregation over 1,000 members, the new gothic style brick sanctuary was dedicated. It featured numerous memorial stained glass windows, the use of many Christian symbols and mirrored the classic sacred architecture dating to the middle ages. A tall Celtic cross adorns the pinnacle of the east facing front of the sanctuary.

The new church featured an organ and an impressive emphasis on the finest of classical and Christian music through the years.

Numerous community leaders, authors, scholars, and visionaries attended or gave their support to the ongoing work and ministry of Wesley Methodist Church.

In 2006, with the establishment of the new Asian Cultural District, Wesley became a link from the areas dynamic Route 66 history to a vital future enlarged by the addition of many, many cultures in the community.

Highlights of History:
“Founded in 1910...This church exists not for itself, but the community in the midst of which God has placed it. We trust that all persons finding their way here will come to know it as a house of worship, a school for learners, a field for workers, a shelter for the weak, a citadel for the strong —where Jesus reigns alone. “  (Sunday Bulletin, January 2, 1927)
  • Wesley started reunions since the summer of 1910 in the Tabernacle located at 32nd and Military (32′ x 70′ ). The 1910 Journal of Methodist Episcopal Church which was held at Alva, Oklahoma on October 19-23 reveals that Frank A. Colwell was appointed pastor for a new church in North Oklahoma City . D. G. Murray was District Superintendent of this district.
  • The little ‘cow shed’ located at 32nd and Military was dedicated by Bishop William. A. Quayle on December 25, 1910 .
  • Early in 1911, District Superintendent D. G. Murray transferred 29 Methodists out of the discontinued Federated Organizational Church to Wesley. The alert trustees of Wesley were highly encouraged and found a new location on Northwest 25th and Classen Boulevard where a site was purchased for $600, and a new church was build: “the sheep shed”. The first church service held there was in August 13, 1911
  • Also, in early 1911, officers were elected and the name “Wesley” was adopted at the suggestion of Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Bradshaw.
  • 1911. Wesley legally organized on January 27, 1911 under the name of Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with the signees: R. E. Bradshaw, J. M. Smith, Edwin Stephenson, H. B. Turner and A. H. Tyler. Wesley had 136 members by that time.
  • 1910. The Oklahoma City Division of the Boy Scouts of America started in early summer of 1910. On June 7,1933. Wright reported for committee of Mr. Mathis, Clyde Reneau, H. J. Scott and L. J. Holt, that 32 boys had reported for Troop 23 meeting. This information indicates that the BSA were much alive during the depression.
  • 1910. The first Sunday School session was held in the home of Judge and Mrs. A. H. Tyler on December 29, 1910. The first Sunday School service was held January 1, 1911 at 9:45 a.m. with forty pupils, teachers and officers present.
  • February 6, 1922 . Dean C. Dutton, Minister, reported to the that building facilities be planned for a Sunday School
  • On October 12, 1924 , Folsom Jackson was employed as the first formal choir director.
  • 1927-28. A new building was erected with a total cost of $128,447:
  • Educational Unit — Ground broken June 7, 1926 —occupied January 9, 1927 .
  • Sanctuary Unit — Ground broken July 10, 1927 —dedicated May 20, 1928 

No comments:

Post a Comment